Like always, I was on Twitter…tweeting. Kanye finally dropped a new song, “Power” featuring Dwele last week. Kanye and Dwele? It must be hot. Before I listened, I asked followers if it was better than “Flashing Lights” since I now compare every Ye’ song to it (with the exception of anything from College Dropout. That’s vintage Kanye,’ and it’s not even 10 years old yet.
I got this response from @Enid19: ” It’s straight. But Flashing Lights is theme music! You play that in your head when walking and serving major ‘tude!”
She is so right. She can’t get no righter. “Flashing Lights” is major theme music. I remember Nip/Tuck’s season trailer was put to that song. Fire. That got me to thinking, what songs do I consider to my theme songs? Everyone has those songs that give them an extra pep in their step. Those songs that make you say, “I’m feelin’ myself right now.” I have about five. And yes, I expect to totally skip over some that should be obvious.
1.Excuse Me Miss ~ Jay-Z: From the first time I heard this song, I must’ve kept it on repeat for hours. Only my linesisters know the real story behind this song, but in addition to that, it’s just so damn sexy. By far, my favorite Jay song.
2. Flashing Lights ~ Kanye West: Believe it or not, this was really on my list. If I’d directed the video, there would have actually been actually flashing lights in the video. Have you heard it live? Sick.
3. On Fire ~ Weezy: Yeah, this song really does it for me. Maybe it’s the way they flipped that sample. Ignore the video, pay attention to the beat (and the words-kinda)
4. Booty ~ Erykah Badu: The Analog Girl showed confidence ain’t got nothing on, um, body parts.
5. Nasty Girl ~ Vanity 6: Again, no explanation. Every woman should love this–nasty girl, or not. It’s produced by PRINCE!
6. PYT ~ Michael Jackson: Did you really think I was going to have a list without Michael Jackson? I shudder at the thought.
7. Knock Yaself Out ~ Jadakiss: Tell me you don’t hit the runway (in your head) when you hear this…..No? I don’t believe you.
Honorable Mention(s) There She Goes ~ Babyface/ Pretty Girls ~ Wale
What are some of your personal theme songs?